SQL Injection (SQLi) is a kind of injection attack that makes it reasonable to perform malicious SQL records. These records control a database server behind a web application. Attackers can use SQL Injection vulnerabilities to bypass most of the application security tests. They can go almost authentication and permission of a web page or web-based software or application and reclaim the content of the whole SQL database. They can also use SQL Injection to join, change, and erase records in the database.
An SQL Injection weak point may affect any website or web application that uses an SQL database like MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, or others. Attackers may use it to get control of illegal access to your important data. Like customer data, personal information, trade secrets details, intellectual capital, and more things. SQL Injection attacks are one of the oldest, most common, and most dangerous and serious web application vulnerabilities or weak points. The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) organization places injections in their OWASP Top 10 2017 record as the number one attack to web application security.
Why Is an SQL Injection Attack Performed and how?
To make an SQL Injection attack, at first, an attacker must need to find vulnerable user inputs within the web page or web-based application. A web page or web-based application that has an SQL Injection vulnerability uses such user input instantly in an SQL query. The attacker can generate input content. Such content usually called a malicious payload and it is the main key part of the SQL attack. After the attacker transfers this content, malicious SQL instructions are performed in the database.
SQL is a query language that was designed to handle data saved in relational databases. You can use it to get access, change, and delete data. Many web-based applications and websites use the SQL database to store all the. In some cases, you also can use SQL requests to run operating system commands. Hence, a successful SQL Injection attack can have very serious results.
How and why SQLI attack happen:
- Attackers can use SQL Injection to get the credentials of other users in the database. They can play a duplicate roll of these users. The impersonated user may be a database manager with all database rights.
- SQL lets you choose and output data from the database. An SQL vulnerability could permit the criminal to get complete entry to all data in a database server.
- SQL also lets you modify all the data in a database and add new data. For example, in a financial web-based application, an attacker could use SQL. So that they can change balances, void transactions, or can transfer money to their account or other accounts which is illegal.
- Using SQL You can delete reports from a database, even drop tables. Even if the administrator or database controller makes database backups, the deletion of data could change application availability until the database is recovered. Also, backups are not able to cover the most recent data.
- In some database servers, you can get entry into the operating system using the database server. This may be intentional or inadvertent. In such a case, an attacker could use an SQLI as the primary vector and then attack the inside network behind a firewall.
Next Articel>>> Know About famous SQL Injection Attacks in Cyber World